Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The death of the word 'fewer'

I don't know if you've noticed but people have stopped saying and writing the word 'fewer', in favour of using 'less' for everything.

The traditional grammar is that 'less' is used for mass nouns and 'fewer' is used for countable nouns, so you would have less chocolate and fewer chocolates, less time and fewer minutes, less patience and fewer scruples.

But people now just use 'less' all the time. Even in august publications like The New Yorker and the NY Times and The Age it crops up again and again in the wrong usage.

This is something I would like to see rectified in 2008 people, please. So if you haven't set New Years resolutions for yourself you now have one: say 'less' less.

6 comments:

Jennifer Henry said...

Hey! This is a favourite bone to pick of mine (along with those common mistakes: 'Klu Klux Klan' and 'Antarctica').

My Rule of Thumb is that 'fewer' is used for quantitative terms, 'less' for qualitative;

e.g. "I now have fewer paracetamol capsules and less of a headache".

I hope this gramamtical discussion doesn't earn me and Mia fewer friends...

Anonymous said...

I used fewer playing scrabulous today - does that earn me pedant points?

Myf

Mimi said...

Hear hear! My boyfriend hates me because I keep correcting him on hie incorrect use of 'less' instead of 'fewer'. I vote we also resolve to correct as many people as we can on this issue - it's one dear to my heart too ;)

Mimi said...

Oops - I meant 'his' not 'hie', though that's a real word too! ;)

Anonymous said...

i can almost hear the eyes rolling as people read this. but you know, pedants rule.

Boris said...

Language is organic. It evolves.

Don't fight the tide, flow with it.