Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Thursday, November 15, 2007

The fastest 6 months of my life

Well, as of next week, I will have been in New York for 6 months. I am shocked because part of me feels like I'm still just getting started and part of me feels like I'm already very used to living here.

Tonight I re-read the blog from the start and had a laugh. The TV ads don't sound strange anymore, I recognize the brands in the supermarket and I know how to cross the road without bumping into 50 people. I know which part of the platform to stand in so I can exit my train at the right subway stairwell. I know which subway lines to catch to different neighbourhoods without consulting a map. I finally know how much to tip and when. I'm probably talking funny. It all happens so quickly.

Jus and I scoped out winter coats last weekend. We tried on puffy jackets, fur lined hoods, coats filled with down that come to your shins. The coats have warmth ratings like doonas. The store was jostling with people preparing for the winter. I've bought wellingtons and two other pairs of boots to insulate against the creeping cold. The stores are full of woollen tights, turtlenecks, fleece tops and pants, gloves, scarves, ear warmers, thermal t-shirts, beanies, heavy woollen dresses and cashmere everything. You can't help but feel a little dread.

Ange, Jon - your scarf and leather gloves have been getting a work out, respectively. I think of you every time I put them on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Meesy, am very excited the scarf has been put to good use. Would like to see a photo in said attire on the blog puh-leese...ange