Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Thursday, May 22, 2008

D.O.A.


I got home from work the other night to find two of the building superintendents hovering at our neighbours door. I could hear a bit of commotion inside and I said kinda flippantly 'Hi guys what's happening?' and one of them took a few steps towards me and whispered, 'She died. In the tub. And has flooded her apartment and the one below'.


It was all very Law & Order. The supers had to force their way in when the neighbour downstairs had water pouring through the ceiling and they found poor Susie naked in the bath.

The NYPD were there doing whatever they had to do. Gurneys in the hall. Ambos. Drama drama drama. The door to her apartment is now sealed with a 'dead on arrival' sticker, which is a little creepy.

She was an old woman, died of natural causes. I saw her maybe once every couple of weeks shuffling to the lift and we exchanged polite greetings. Jus said she came and went a lot and had lots of visitors during the day. She was active and happy and evidently had the quickest and most painless of deaths.

But moments after the police had left I did hear some neighbours milling in the hallway talking about when her lease contract was up. Never an inappropriate moment to talk about available apartments in this town, it seems. I felt like I was on Seinfeld.

Bom bom da na na na na....


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did she have a television?

Too soon?