Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Cutting a long story short

So we didn't go anywhere for the long weekend and I feel like I squandered it :( I could have been in Costa Rica or the Keys or New Orleans but I did not get my act together and the airfares all skyrocketed. So now I am in holiday planning mode for later in the year so we don't miss out on more travel opportunities. The clock is ticking loudly for me.

There were two highlights: wandering around the West Village in the sun and getting cupcakes at Magnolia (of Sex and the City fame) with Lisa and Jus on Thursday, and heading out to Brooklyn for a July 4 party with Corrie, Kerry et al with access to a real live backyard (more fireflies!) and a rooftop at the same party.

At the party people sang the anthem and America The Beautiful and any other America-centric songs they could remember after a lot of beer, wine & champas (we hadn't tuned in to the simulcast and we couldn't really hear the fireworks so the void had to be filled somehow) as fireworks splashed through the sky in New Jersey and on Manhattan. At one stage we were watching three separate fireworks displays, and the two Macy's ones were coordinated.

It was actually so hot and humid it rained during the fireworks, which made them a little lower than usual due to the cloud cover.

It's going to be 30c+ all week and my head is hurting at the thought of our electricity bill and the black balloons pouring out of our always-on aircon. Sorry, Kyoto. Though we did change a lightbulb over to the new kind this week!

That wasn't so short in the end, was it? Ciao.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting how you lose perspective on things. Never thought I would hear myself saying 4 days in NY is time squandered.