Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Real Life New Yorker # 6 - Olivia

This is Olivia who I used to work with but who has now spread her wings to the wonderful world of entertainment. And its appropriate because she is so entertaining. This gal has stories. About her Katrina-orphan pooch, her fave Italian joint in Miami and her feeling of obligation to take leaflets from desperate looking people on the street.

Where did you grow up?
I grew up all over the U.S. I was born in New Orleans, LA spending some of my childhood there as well. I also lived in Manhattan, Canton-Ohio, Louisville-KY, Austin-TX. Following high school I spent a summer in Munich Germany and then moved to San Francisco, CA where I lived for 14 years before a brief 2 year stint in Miami, FL and then back to where I am now which is in one of the greatest cities in the world....NY, NY (of course!).

What brought you to New York?
I came to NY for the opportunity, culture, creativity, and lifestyle that the city offers. I knew I loved it before I decided to make it home. Not liking Miami and having lived so many other places before.....it was NY or bust.

What do you like about the US?
This is a hard question. As a generalization there's not a lot that I like about the U.S. I guess I appreciate that there is so much opportunity here and that if a person sets there mind to something they can achieve it.

Is there anything you hate about America?
I have a strong dislike for our politics without question. I also am often repulsed by the overall superiority and waste that goes on. I hate that as a country we consume so much without seemingly much mindfulness for other countries' lack.

What do you think of when you think of Australia?
I've been meeting a lot of Aussie's lately - first thing that comes to mind is the visa that's allowing so many Australians to live and work here in the U.S.

Who do you think is going to win the US election and why?
I have very little faith in our political system. I'd like for Obama to win but my cynicism has me thinking that it will be McCain.

Will you work in New York forever?
I have hopes and plans to eventually live abroad; as long as I'm in the U.S., yes, I think I'll be in NY.

If you could visit one place in Australia where would you go and why?
Perth. Heard great things about it! It's on the "Life List"

Who is the most famous Australian, in your mind?
Because of recent events I'd have to say Heath Ledger. There are also many of the other Australian actors/actresses such as Nicole Kidman. Cate Blanchett? Isn't she Australian?

What’s one thing everyone should know about New York?
It's the most efficiently ran place on the planet. Nowhere else in the world does time = money like it does here. One more thing, anyone who visits quickly realizes that the people are really nice here.


No comments: