Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Saturday, December 22, 2007

A New York moment

Strange experience today. Was on my way from Dunkin Donuts to the liquor store (ahem) and there was a guy outside the apartment block, covered in sweat, half slumped on the hood of a car, on the verge of passing out. I thought, 'ooh, looks like he's on some harsh drugs' and kept walking. Pedestrians were glancing at him and walking on, giving him wide berth.

I bought my wine and headed back home, and he was still on the car bonnet, his knees buckling and sweat streaming down his forehead. He was holding a bottle of Sunkist and trying to take sips. I gave him a look over and thought he looked in serious trouble -diabetic, heart attack, overdose flitted through my mind - and I decided to ask him if he was OK. I figured if he was tripping out he would just tell me to get lost.

He opened his eyes fleetingly and said, "No, I'm not and nobody will stop. Everyone thinks I'm a drug addict but I've had a seizure."

He mumbled how he was from Florida and had family in the Bronx and had been on the train and had a seizure and was on medication but hadn't had it since he flew from Florida. He was incoherent and kept closing his eyes and lolling forward. I was afraid he was going to collapse. I asked him where he was going, or if I could call someone for him. He fumbled for his phone and managed to open the contacts and pass it to me but he was too confused about who to call.

I asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital or if I should call an ambulance. He was unsure. 'What do you think?' he asked. I thought, well he can't work out who to call, he doesn't have his wits about him enough to instruct a taxi driver and the Bronx is far away, and he certainly couldn't get on the train. He couldn't stand up. I said "Give me your phone and I'll call an ambulance."

So I called 911 and waited with him while the ambulance stormed up 6th Ave. I asked him his name and told him help was on the way and it would be all right. The paramedics came and by this time he was more coherent and could keep his eyes open, and the sweat was gone. He chatted with them about his medication and I said 'good luck Eddie' and left them to it.

Lesson of the story: if you feel like blueberry donuts and red wine, go and get em.

Morality play quiz: how parsimonious are your morals? Someone at work sent me this quiz after I mentioned this incident at work. Tough questions to ask yourself.

No comments: