Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Real Life New Yorker #4 - James


I'm kinda cheating here because Jus knew James from college days but what the hell he's still a New Yorker, right? And he's a New Yorker who blogs about basketball and works in web design. So you gotta love it.


Where did you grow up?
I was born in London, raised in Washington DC, went to University in Melbourne, Australia.

What brought you to New York?
Every young person who grows up in DC eventually gives New York a shot. New York is like DC's cool older brother. I was lured up in 2000 for a dotcom paycheck. I worked at a Razorfish wannabe called Concrete Media. I think I was literally the last person hired by a dotcom in New York before the bubble burst. When I arrived it was all free sushi and in-office massages and cashed-up geeks. It was a bizarro world - where way too many people behind the velvet ropes knew html.
I worked in a fancy space on the far West side of downtown, where a number of upstart tech companies had offices. Every morning the young techies would pour from our modest subway stop in their black manpris, thick glasses, carrying smartphones, zipping across the street on Razor scooters like some herd of albino water buffalo. 3 months later they were all gone. The watering hole was dry, the herd died off or moved on. Maybe you would still spy, from the corner of your eye, the occassional, startled, pale manboy darting across traffic on a scooter, with a tattered Kozmo messenger bag, but otherwise they left no trace.

What do you like about the US?
I like it's lack of modesty, and how earnest and enthusiastic people are. You feel very free here to pursue very stupid dreams. I like the diversity. And the generous return policies on purchases.

Is there anything you hate about America?
Well New York is very untypical of America. What I hate about New York: the rents, the noise, never seeing the horizon, and how difficult it is to get out of town. What I hate about the rest of the country: tackiness, sameness, mass cultureness, chain restaurants, subdivisions, stripmalls, megachurches... I hate the talk radio, the sexual anxiety, that 79% of people here believe in angels, that woman who had 17 kids, the celebrity tabloids, the advertisements on TV for diarrhea medicines, the complete lack of interest in the rest of the world... I hate stories on the news about gas prices that use the phrase "pain at the pump", skyscrapers on beaches, adults who dress like children on weekends.

What do you think of when you think of Australia?
I think of wide open space, breathtaking coastlines, screaming cockatoos, Victorian architecture, redheads, bad nicknames, really bad television, good music, great food, kids in pubs, drinking in public, cafes, happy people, lucky people.

Who do you think is going to win the US election and why?
I think it's Obamas to lose. The Bush republicans have obviously run things into the ground, and Obama is the first charismatic liberal since Clinton. But you just never know. It will definitely be much closer than it should be.

Will you work in New York forever?
As long as I'm in America, I don't think I would want to live anywhere but New York. I am lucky enough to have 3 passports though, including one of those magical EU ones, so I would be crazy to say forever.

If you could visit one place in Australia where would you go and why?
Of places I have not seen, I would love to visit the Western Australian coast, and the rainforests of Kakadu and Dainbtree, and of course the outlet shops at Bendigo Shopping Plaza.

Who is the most famous Australian, in your mind?
I'd wish I could say that the first name that came to mind was someone like Gough Whitlam or, Patrick White, or Banjo Patterson or Vincent Lingiari, and not Russell Crowe. But I can't.

What's one thing everyone should know about New York?
It's way safer and friendler than you think. Also dirtier. Also when a broker describes an apartment as "loft-like" what they really mean is "not loft-like"

No comments: