Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Saturday, May 26, 2007

The eagle has landed




Well, mum and I have arrived. Its 11.20pm on Friday night and we're surfing cable in the Radisson (its 4.45pm in Melly) after dining in the hotel grill and vowing to share all meals from now on (just how big is an 8 ounce steak? metric system, anyone?).




The 'server' asked me "So are we 21 miss?" when we ordered our Sonoma chardonnay. Are you frigging kidding me? I guess the lack of DD-sized boobs and pancake makeup puts me squarely in pre-pubescence. I didn't know whether to be flattered or offended. The pressure to pluck my eyebrows is mounting!



We just happen to be staying where the 9th Annual West Coast Salsa Congress is on. You've never seen more Latino lycra, long hair, sparkly shirts and shimmying in your life. The entire salsa sub-culture of SoCal is here, and mum and I fit right in, as you can imagine.




If you can't beat those latin rhythms pounding up to the non-smoking 3rd floor, join 'em. Mum and I bought tickets and have just had a hip-ful of Puerto Rican, Japanese, Bostonian, Fresno-ian, Bay Area-n, Encino-ite, Utah-ish, Congolese, Colomobian etc dancing their booties off in competition and showcase dancing. Was pretty cool, well the ones that could dance were. Those Utah and Boston types just got points for trying. It continues til 4am. Lucky we saved those ear plugs from the plane.




I will have to do a separate entry about flying Business Class Mel-Auk-Lax. I still haven't recovered from the sheer heaven of it. Basically it was like going out for lunch, taking a nap, then going out for dinner and a movie. Economy will never be the same now that I know what's going on upstairs. It's just wrong.




Another American cliche for me to avoid "You do the math".


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like a private school boy eager to tag a freshly painted train station, I feel compelled to add something to your commentless blog and yet am bereft of anything meaningful. I am faced with the further dilemma of selecting a suitably bloggy name. I can only assume "Bumpercrop" relates to your hair and will decline to speculate on what else it may refer to. So let me ponder and in the meantime, am glad to hear all is well and look forward to the next instalment. Miss Amigo (in honour of your Latino entertainment).

Anonymous said...

Thank god for you, Ange! And don't worry about meaningfulness - not a requirement for a blog. 'Bumpercrop' is a nickname Jus bestowed on me. You can ask him what it relates to. I'm not quite sure there's anything specific...just a general over the topness?