Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Thursday, July 26, 2007

End of an era 2



Got some sad news today: my nanna died. That's both maternal grandparents gone in 6 months :(

I have to say I'm glad she's now with grandad and at peace, because she found the last year especially miserable. She was ready for death and welcomed it, which was confronting to hear from someone who spent most of her life nurturing. She'd had enough and knew her best days were behind her. Mum and Janine were there with her when she passed away. There was soft music in the background, aromatherapy, and she was comfortable and not frightened. So she is at rest as she wished.

I visited her before I came overseas and we said our goodbyes, which was very upsetting, because we both knew it was goodbye forever. At least I had the opportunity to tell her how much I loved her, and that I have buckets of golden memories with her, and that I will miss her terribly.
I have a photo of nanna and grandad here with me, from my wedding. I'll have to have a little ceremony on Tuesday, which is when her funeral is. No snow gleaming like Japan, when grandad died...will have to think of something befitting. Any ideas?

3 comments:

bwolper said...

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother. It is good that you had your good-byes. I am sure that doesn't diminish the hurt that you are feeling. I hope you and your mother heal quickly.

By the way, I met your mum in St. Kilda a few years ago. I was with her cousin Anne (Armstrong). We met at a Thai restaurant. I think she might have showed me a picture of you.

I am very good friends with Anne's family and have known them for 8 or 9 years. As a matter of fact, she is the one that pointed me in the direction of your blog.

If you look at my profile you will see my gmail address. Feel free to drop me an email.

Take care.

Mimi said...

Hi Mia,

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's wonderful, though, that you had the opportunity to say goodbye; so few people get that opportunity. And the fact that you had your Nanna around for so much of your life is wonderful. I lost mine when I was 15 and only just beginning to appreciate what a wonderful lady she was. So there you go.

Hope you're ok and you find a lovely ceremonial tribute to give your Nanna. My two cents worth: a special candle, a photo, a scent and/or a song.

Love and hugs xx

bwolper said...

Mia,

I am glad you made it to the funeral. Wow. God bless.

Bruce
bwolper@gmail.com