Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

End of an era

Well I write this with mixed emotions. My trusty Filofax, which I received as a 21st present from dad, sits dusty in a drawer. Forgotten. No more diary entries, no checking of phone numbers, no scribbling of notes, no annual trip off to the stationery store for the calendar refill.

It has all been made obsolete by my iPhone, with its synching with Outlook, its Notes section, its Contacts...Nothing of which is new in PDA land, but I never thought I'd be a PDA person, I'd never get addicted a la Crackberries, I'd never get smug a la Palm Pilot users, I liked the sound of pencil on paper. Even the Filofax tagline is 'Its a way of life.' And here I am flipping out the phone every 2 secs, dedicated to typing stuff into it and getting info out of it.

For 12 strong years my Filofax survived student life, holidays, work life and living in 4 different countries; I never lost it, it never broke, and it held tightly bills and business cards and yoga timetables. I have kept all my diaries - 1997 was a busy year - in a box that now sits in storage in Scoresby. Now I have paperless billing, digital contacts, access to my internet bookmarks and a blog all at the press of a touch screen.

And so I bid you farewell, Filo, as you were known around the house. You were an indispensable gift and you have served me well. So long.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a comment for Meesy

bwolper said...

I have been enjoying your blog ever since it was shown to me.

As for this entry, I only have this to offer--Isn't the 21st century wonderful? I went totally paperless some time ago. I don't know exactly when "the era" ended for me. I have no regrets.

It was really great when I was in Oz. I could pay bills and conduct business as if I were still in the States.

I love your blog. I read it everyday. Feel free to drop me an email.

-Bruce-

Unknown said...

hmm, reckon your iphone will last twelve trusty years ?

Anonymous said...

actually, no. i don't. it will probably be superceded in about 5 mins. and i'll just watch while they get thinner and better! Filofax should really get in the digital game: even if they don't make devices they could make branded gadgets to keep their organiser brand alive.

GC said...

I am so jealous that you have an iPhone Mia. You're killing me with your new Big Apple life, which now includes little Apple gadgets!!! Who knows how long it will be before Aus gets 'em?

Anonymous said...

I think they're slated for Jun 2008. I imagine Telstra is in a tizzy trying to figure out a pricing plan, as here there is unlimited (data) downloads, and no phone plans work that way in Aus as yet.When I went home for the funeral i was on global roaming and able to show Jus, my mum and stepdad the functionality and IXd and there was much oohing and aahing.