Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

People and their avatars

Someone sent this around at work: a slideshow of people and the characters they create for themselves when they play computer games. Fascinating that some create characters who look exactly like themselves (with strategic enhancements) and some go for complete alter egos.

I'm just thinking back on my Sims avatars: I was into bobbed hair, knee high boots, glasses and tatts, or otherwise I was a guy with a goatee. I don't know what that says about me...

1 comment:

OxBender said...

Well this is up my alley! I subscribe to three blogs including yours . . . one of them being http://terranova.blogs.com/

Worth a read. Anyway to get onto the topic in a more focussed manner: I loved the PowerPoints--it was interesting when playing Anarchy Online how people presented themselves when I knew them in RL (Real Life). Playing LOTRO now with my RL pal (high-powered lawyer and gourmand) --he's 6'5" tall, and plays a short stocky dwarf. Never a female . . .

Some of those pics--they're like "Reasons why not to play MMOs"; on the other hand, it does show the variety of people shrinking away from the brutally banal existence of our capitalist oppressive cultural wasteland. omfg n00b