Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A weekend in the Hamptons








Ben, an old pal of my friend from work, Simon, (who worked at Optus with Freya - small world!) was kind enough to invite me out to his play pen in East Quogue in the Hamptons, the NY equiavelent of the Mornington Peninsula basically.
It was divine to swim, lay in the sun, and meet a whole bunch of French people (Ben's from Brittany), eat distinctly un-American food (all you can eat moules, chevre, and real bread!) drink rose and embrace a European sensibility for 5 minutes. I even ventured a few words of French after several wines.
The house was the classic Hampton's limewashed pad, which slept 16, had a tennis court and pool and was fitted out entirely in Ikea. (That must have been one helluva shopping trip. Fun!)
We went out on Ben's roommate's boat and I attempted to wakeboard and water ski, both of which i was completely unco at. The water was suprisingly, deliciously, warm, because we were in a bay, so I didn't mind spending most of time waiting for the boat to circle back to me after a spectacular crash. I pulled leg and arm muscles left, right and centre, and today, still, I can't grip a pencil properly and am limping. Its nothing like kneeboarding, which spells the extent of my being-dragged-behind-a-boat skills!
I couldn't have asked for a more restfful, rejuvenating weekend to recover from my my dash back to Australia and the shocking head cold that resulted from 50 hours on planes. (You should have seen the stuff coming out of my sinus. Flashbacks of Nam, Jus...) More photos on Flickr.

No comments: