Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Celebrity Sighting # 4,5 and 6














The Puerto Rican Day Parade brought NY to a standstill today. Mum and I walked down to 5th Ave with a million other people, though we were without the whistles, flags, flag earrings, tight clothes, corn rows, tatts, flag caps and flag t-shirts. Ricky Martin was king of the parade, and Geraldo Rivera marched with it, and Judd Hirsch just happened to be crossing the street among all the chaos. (He's very tall in real life.) I'm going to Google everything about Puerto Rico after this as we realised we know nothing about it. If we're going to celebrate it we should know what Ponce and Boruica mean, for starters.


After Ricky's float went by we decided it was all downhill from there and wandered off to MoMA for a different type of cultural experience. I fell in love with Takashi Murakami and Ellen Gallagher paintings in the Comic Abstraction exhibition. Murakami brings crisp graphic intensity to abstract pieces, and on first sight Gallagher's work looks strongly influenced by Aboriginal art, until you realise all those dots are mouths and eyes. A nourishing afternoon.


And the Tony's tonight! If I can rustle up the energy I might skip down to Radio City Music Hall and see who's on the red carpet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh!! Very jealous of your recent visit to MoMA. Tell me more! Dan (Seek)

Unknown said...

Ricky Martin? MoMa? Muscle Mary's!? Talk about Livin La Vida Loca! Ole!!

Anonymous said...

Jealous of MoMA Dan, or of my Ricky Martin sighting? They were both pretty exciting :P)
Will shoot you a mail.

Anonymous said...

Celebrity sightings? Let me tell you about celebrity sightings! I was on a flight to Sydney this morning, after the taping of that tragic Channel 7 show, It Takes Two,and who should I see? None other than Barnsey's son, David Campbell (who was wearing dark glasses on a 7am flight - the sun hadn't even come up!), Kate Ritchie (aka Sally from Home and Away) who was much shorter but more pear-shaped than me and the biggest celebrity of all - Elton John!! OK, it wasn't realy Elton John, just someone who looked a hell of a lot like him, but I did have to do a double take. I can't wait for the return flight - I might get to see Warwick Capper! Celebrity Spotter Friend

Anonymous said...

Meesy, have put in an email to one of Frank's friends who lived in NY for a couple of years. he may have some suggestions as to where to put that stubby cooler!

went up to brisvegas the other weekend and went to GoMA... not as high profile as your recent cultural intake, but great nonetheless. there is a series of traditional chinese ink landscape drawings (you know the type of whispy moutains and trees and waterfalls)... HUGE scale. When looking at them very closely, all the marks are actually letters that spell "yodel" and"whoohoo"! All the types of strange sounds we shout from a mountain top!
Lou x
ps getting the pedi done in the 23rd. talk about hard to get in! my feet a screaming for it!!!!!