Twitter badge

What music I'm listening to...

Flickr badge

www.flickr.com
Meesy's items Go to Meesy's photostream

Friday, June 22, 2007

DC a/c





I took the train to DC on Wednesday to visit XM satellite radio HQ. Alarm at 5am, on the train at Penn Station at 6am. Asleep again by 6.20am. Roused myself for breakfast at 8am. Arrived at the most glorious classical Union Station in the nation's capital at 8.50am. (Froze from serious a/c (no 'air con' here, its a/c) and had a chill all day. It must have been all of 23c and the a/c was on full bore. Anyways...)


The train journey was great! To get to DC you travel through Philadelphia, Baltimore, Newark and Wilmington - 4 states DE, PA, MD and NJ, in 3 and a bit hours. I saw deer grazing at dusk, cranes getting worms at dawn, rowers on the Hudson, 4 prisons, a twinkly skyscraper in Philly. It was great to get out of the city and see some small towns and forests and sleepy suburbs, and prisoners playing basketball in uniform in their low security facility as the sun was setting.


Mum's contemplating coming with me next week and seeing the sights for the day. I've joined the Amtrak rewards/points program so Jus and I can get a trip to who know's where in a couple of months. Nantucket sounds curious.


I'm glad I have these once-a-week escapes to look forward to: a bit of quiet and hypnotic shooga shooga while I stare out the window, and Californian red and cheese & crackers on the return journey (with emergency woollen socks and pashmina to brave the a/c) before a bit more napping. Deposited back in NYC's sultry subway and in bed 15 mins later. Much more civilised than having to take your belt and shoes off to catch a plane.


No comments: